- Jhpiego, an international non-profit health organization affiliated with the Johns Hopkins University, in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health through the National AIDS/STI Control program is implementing Phase 3 of the Self Testing Africa Initiative (STAR) in Nigeria.
- The STAR project is an 18-month HIV Self Testing (HIVST) project designed to catalyze the adoption, availability and use of HIVST in Nigeria. The project objectives include creating an enabling environment for HIVST implementation and facilitating innovative distribution approaches for HIVST kits in a manner that ensures sustainable access. The Initiative aims to facilitate rapid HIVST scale-up, with the overall goal of reducing HIV-related mortality and morbidity in Nigeria, through increased demand for HIVST and subsequent linkage to treatment and prevention services.
Scope of Work
- HIVST Officer will ensure sustainable, high quality and client focused HIVST services utilizing a total market approach with community (linkage to prevention, treatment and care services) in line with national requirements and standards.
- S/he will ensure un-interrupted supply of commodities and develop strategies to strengthen referrals between community based HIVST points and the relevant health facilities for appropriate referral of clients.
- S/he will also be responsible for ensuring a functional referral linkage system.
The key tasks for the HIVST officer consultant will include:
- Overall implementation of HIVST at the state level
- Lead State level advocacy and support to SMOH and IPs on HIVST
- Coordinate and engage with the private sector (pharmacy and PPMVs) to implement the total market approach
- Lead in the coordination of community based HIVST for the target population of interest with the district.
- Collaborate for the successful roll out and implementation of HIVST for target populations.
- Work to establish and strengthen effective referral linkage between community outreach services and care and treatment facilities.
- Collaborate with district reference laboratories to implement proficiency testing and other diagnostic quality assurance.
- Contribute to development of project strategies, work plans and budgets
- Produce and ensure timely submission of monthly program activity reports to the Project Director.
- S/he provides HIVST to priority populations according to the national HIV testing protocols and guidelines
- S/he establishes and strengthens good working relationship with other implementing partners and stakeholders.
- S/he ensures that HIVST quality assurance practices are always performed at all times according to the national requirements.
- S/he performs any other duty as assigned by the Project Director.
Required Skills and Competence
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred) in Health Sciences, Medical Sciences or Public Health.
- At least 5 years’ experience with HIV/AIDS program implementation, working with public and NGO sectors is required
- Advanced computer skills in Excel, Word processing and database management
- Good strategic, analytical thinking and problem-solving skills with ability to work effectively with key stakeholders especially relevant government partners, implementing partners and CSOs.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Good strategic and analytical thinking and ability to interpret public health and epidemiological data
- Familiarity with UNITAID regulations is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated initiative, tact and high sense of responsibility and discretion;
- Strong teamwork skills
- Excellent advocacy and communication skills, written and oral;
- Strong computer literacy.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their updated CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using ” HIVST Officer Consultant ” as the subject of the email.
- CV and Cover Letter as ONE SINGLE WORD document
- The title/subject of your email and application should be the position you are applying for.
- Candidates that do not comply with the application instruction will be disqualified.
- Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
- We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.
- Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for an interview
- Any successful candidate will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
- There will be travel requirements and opportunities both within Nigeria.
- JHU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.