The Matron will contribute to and collaborate with the Chief Matron, Senior Hospital Management and other Clinical personnel to deliver high quality healthcare care to its patients by providing excellent clinical and professional leadership to nursing staff at all levels, ensuring nursing care in the Hospital is delivered to a high standard and nursing resources are managed effectively.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- As part of the Senior Clinical Group, provide expert nursing advice and input into operational and strategic issues concerning the Hospital including the development & implementation of activities to ensure the Hospital’s objectives are achieved within agreed timelines.
- In collaboration with the Chief Matron, Chief Medical Director and General Administrative Manager, participate in the planning and implementation of developments relating to patient care quality throughout the Hospital ensuring that all Hospital employees, especially nursing staff, work effectively to achieve the Organization’s objectives.
- Help the Hospital run smoothly by maintaining good working relationships by acting as a link between doctors, nurses and Hospital Administration in order to improve patient care.
- Provide professional-level support for patients by answering medical questions, providing clinical information within the limits of their training / authority as applicable.
- Monitor and enforce the practical implementation of all Hospital Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to ensure the safety and protection of the Hospital’s patients.
- Lead & enforce all Infection Prevention and Controls practices and policies across the Hospital.
- Be a role model for nurses across daily promoting and demonstrating the standards of care and level of professional & personal behaviors expected of the Nursing Team.
- Manage, co-ordinate, discipline and train members of the Hospital’s Nursing Team when required. Handle team grievances and develop a team culture that promotes learning from accidents, incidents and patient feedback among the Nursing Team.
- Constantly communicate the Hospital’s Vision, Mission & Values in order to provide purpose and direction for all Nursing Staff working with the Hospital.
- Communicate Hospital policies and inform the Hospital Nursing Team of any policy changes to ensure Nursing Staff have the information and support they need to provide high quality care for all patients and their families. In collaboration with the General Admin Manager, develop & implement Annual Training Plans and perform regular Performance Appraisals for the Hospital’s Nursing Team.
- Participate actively in the training and on-boarding of new Nursing Staff.
- Lead and ensure all Hospital Nursing Staff work in accordance with all Hospital and department policies, procedures and guidelines
- Deliver and supervise the delivery of all aspects of nursing care to patients based on knowledge and experience in order to maintain and raise standards of care.
- Monitor and evaluate standards of care, coaching & correcting line staff when necessary
- Act as an expert for specific aspects of clinical nursing care.
- Have a working knowledge of usual Hospital Health & Safety regulations and emergency clinical procedures, making sure proper action is taken in the event of emergencies.
- Lead on promoting and monitor the adherence of infection control policies and procedures.
- Ensure adequate and appropriate patient and nursing documentation and records are maintained (paper and electronic).
- Supervise the effective use of bed capacity and patient flow within the Hospital.
- Manage, organize and facilitate effective patient discharge planning.
- Efficient discharge of any other duties as assigned by the Chief Medical Director or Chief Matron.
Education, Qualifications & Experience
- Must be a Registered Nurse with a B.Sc. in Nursing and a valid professional license.
- Post Graduate Studies or equivalent professional qualifications (e.g. Certified Midwife) is a major advantage.
- Previous Experience Minimum 8 – 10 years robust post-qualification experience.
- Past experience in Midwifery and special needs care (e.g. oncology nursing)
- Experience of leading and managing others is expected
Personal Attributes & Physical Demands:
- Able to work and lead clinically if required
- Must have strong customer-orientation, with good written & verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to develop relationships and influence a wide range of stakeholders
- Friendly, patient and reliable with a high level of maturity, empathy and emotional intelligence
- Must demonstrate proven experience in leading and managing others
- Detail-oriented with a clear commitment to quality improvement.
- Understands the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (NMCN) Code of Professional Conduct and its application to clinical practice.
- Must be familiar with office equipment e.g. phones, computers, printers, scanners, copiers, etc.
- Must be able to multi-task; capable of handling several issues at the same time to deliver results and meet desired deadlines.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates who are ready to be interviewed and eventually reside in Onitsha should apply by sending only their CV to: email@example.com using “Matron” as the subject of the mail.
Note: Enquiries: 08120796570